Friday, February 28, 2014

NEW FRIENDS IN NEW PLACES


Alan and I took a drive one day into the Olympic forest (probably not the correct name) and when we got out at a specific spot these beautiful, majestic trees were there with the sunlight filtering through them. They are so beautiful and strong, whereas the trees in Alaska outside our home were thin and looked fragile to me, but I could always hear them "speaking in the breeze".

Yesterday I attended the monthly meeting of Sequim Arts of which I am a member and the newsletter editor. I joined this club shortly after we arrived in Sequim. I really joined because I wanted to be around people that I considered miles above me in talent and I wanted to rub shoulders with them to see if some of that would rub off on me. I have since found that I'm on the same level as everyone else in that my talents are different than anyone else and I am good at what I do. I'm also still learning and trying new things. This club and Sequim itself offer me classes to take to hone my skills and widen my sphere of interest. 

I have always felt that you get out of something what you put into it...so, I volunteered to be the newsletter editor the same month that I joined. If I hadn't volunteered there would have been no more newsletter as the previous person was not going to be able to do it anymore. I have loved doing it because it is desktop publishing, which is another skill I have had for a long time. I learned a new software program and since people were putting ads into the newsletter I thought it would be a good idea to charge them a nominal fee for the privilege and use the money for a fund to use for the yearly Youth Art Show. The Youth Art Show is grades 6-12 and the kids even hang the art work for their show. This year a new prize given to some worthy kids will be a 1:1 one hour class or demonstration with a local artist. I am one of those artists. On March 8th there will be a Gala and the awards will be given out. There are lots of awards and we got art from over 100 kids!! I feel so good being able to help give back to this artistic community. 

This is a metal piece (Tin, copper, glass, and baby shoes) that I purchased from an artist at our member art show. It "spoke" to me because it has 4 hearts which represent my children, Tamara, Shawn, Aaron, and Lisabeth and the baby shoes speak for themselves, don't they? They are actual baby shoes that the artist bought at a garage sale and she bronzed them and attached them to this piece. I love it and it hangs in the bedroom where I see it in the morning and in the evening.

It was so awesome walking into the meeting yesterday because a new friend came over and hugged me and said "I'm so glad you are here. Thank you so much for all you do." I had several other compliments on the newsletter too. It is nice when you start to recognize and feel connected to others when you move to a new town. If I hadn't gotten involved it wouldn't be happening. I have made a special friend who is so supportive and I of her. We are the same age and we have both lost loved ones this year so it has been especially important for both of us.

We have great neighbors too...and one called yesterday just to find out how I was feeling. No one sees me out and about much so they understand that my energy is at a minimum and that I'm still dealing with medication changes to get the seizures to stop. I'm so thankful for this loving support system and I know that as time goes by it will become stronger. It's hard to believe that we have been here almost a year!!

Thank you Sequim for taking us into your town and calling us two of your own.



Our Sequim, Washington Home

No comments:

Post a Comment