Saturday, October 15, 2011

A VIEW FROM A WINDOW

My body feels like it is time to get ready for -40 degrees and snow, snow, snow.....like last year, and like every year before it for the past 26 years.

Winter in Fairbanks, Alaska 2010

Winter in Fairbanks, Alaska 2010

Winter in Fairbanks, Alaska 2010
But when I look out my door this is what I see....

A view from my window, Seattle, WA 2011

A view from my window, Seattle, WA 2011
So I say to myself, "Self, this is not real....this is only an illusion." But then I go outside with no coat on and touch those beautiful red leaves and realize that this winter, THIS WINTER, I will not be battling the slick roads, sliding into ditches on sheets of ice roads as I did last year, that I won't worry about breaking down on the road and having it be a potential lethal situation because of the extreme temperatures if I'm not properly prepared. Unless you are in my shoes you cannot even imagine what those differences mean. The people here in Seattle keep saying, "Just wait until it rains sideways". Well, I'm here to tell you that it has rained sideways, and blown like a son-of-a-gun, and you know what I discovered? I'm not made out of sugar and I didn't melt, nor did I blow away. The next day the sun was out and I was back outside with only a light sweater. 

I have been fortunate enough to have been able to move into a new apartment that has absolutely no stairs. That is almost unheard of in Seattle as the whole city is built on hills of all shapes and sizes. I love my new home and though I still have a lot to do to make it my "home", it is comfortable. And, although I have never, ever liked Halloween, I am actually going to the apartment community Halloween party and will welcome Trick-or-Treaters on the 31st. I might even dress up to answer the door.....something in black I think!

Janie

No comments:

Post a Comment