Sunday, September 14, 2014

FRUSTRATION AT IT'S HIGHEST POSSIBLE PEAK!!

9 Patch Tangle
So, I had the Lumbar Laminectomy surgery and everything went smooth as clock-work until it was time to leave the hospital. I had to have a certain type of bed to get in and out of, so the doctor said we come all the way to Sequim if we stopped each hour so I could get out and walk a bit. The trip was uneventful and I really have to give my husband a lot of credit because he had to pack everything up that we had at my son's (where we thought we would be staying for a couple of days).

I am now on day 7 post surgery. The bruising is incredible! However, the right leg pain is GONE!! The hip pain is GONE!! And....and.....I have been walking further from the house the past few days than I have since we moved in here, because the pain was just too much.

I have SO MANY limitations....but the main idea is to keep my back as straight as possible....so I don't sit too long or walk too long, but do lay a lot less than when we came home.

The Neighborhood
I am so anxious to get back to my regular life....when something is on the floor or below my waist, I have so much trouble not bending to pick it up! I am really dependent on my husband right now for my care. I'm getting a little more independent with each new day. Having that surgery was really a chance I knew I had to take, and now I can see how there are so many places in my house and at the Studio where things are in drawers way below my waist. I have this long stick-like apparatus that is pretty handy to use.

Crazy Girl
There are so many things in life that we all take for granted. We usually don't even give it a second thought that we might be handicapped in some way. The whole world around you changes when you become handicapped. I have had to learn to swallow my pride when I needed someone to help me with my bathroom "duties". I was pushing a walker around (for balance and support) but that walker made me feel really old...I'm talking 900 years old here!! I have other "medical supplies" also that make my life a little bit easier. I'm so thankful that I won't have to stay in this "straight" position very long. It's so hard to get around and do things and heaven forbid that anything falls on the floor. Again, I have to say that my husband isn't losing patience with me and my handicap at the present, and for that he is to be commended!!

Falling Hearts
I am so thankful that I am healing properly and that my being up and about is much easier. I am also thankful for things that I prepared to use during this time...i.e., Christmas decorations for the Studio, Steampunk jewelry for the Studio, and book work for my son-in-law. I also do the newsletter for our local Sequim Arts Association, and I will be darned if I'll let a little 5" cut on my spine keep me from getting it out on time! So, here is to hoping that the surgery results will stay as they are now or even get better. Is it painful? Yes, sometimes it's very painful, but most of the time it's pretty copeable. Now where is my "grabber".....

Have a wonderful one....Janie

2 comments:

  1. I hope you continue to heal and create. My son-in-las is having back problems and he is under 35. I can understand having to give up your independence, but this seems to be temporary. Kudos to your husband for his patience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your son-in-law should seek help for his back as soon as possible and then do exactly what he is told. Back surgery is the last option I had, and I was taking more than 6 double strength prescription pain killers every day. Thank you for your get well wishes and thank you for reading my blog!!

    ReplyDelete