Saturday, September 20, 2014

DOWN BUT NOT OUT


Not a very good picture, taken at an angle...."Tip Toe Through the Flowers"

One of the best things about having to be "down" (recovering from back surgery) is that it gives me time to draw, which is my passion, and which I always put on the back burner until I have the time to do it. That, of course, is crazy! I should just be drawing whenever I feel so inclined, correct?

Well, this past week I really have been turning out the pieces of art. It feels great, let me tell you. For the most part I have been very happy with the results. I have a one-woman show coming up in October at a local art supply store/gallery and I think it would be fun to put some of my newer things up.

Doing my kind of art puts me in a head space of total relaxation and almost gives me an out-of-body experience because of the intensity of what I'm creating. It is also distracting from any and all discomfort I'm having from the surgery, while I recover.

I am finding that my form of art is being accepted more often, and in very diverse places. This past month (September) I have pieces at the Art Center in the Sequim Museum and at a Port Angeles Cafe. I was pretty excited about getting into the cafe as artists from our Studio had pieces in there in August too (everyone donated a piece to the cause of showing). I was just barely back from Seattle where the surgery was performed, and I got a phone call from a lady who lives in Seattle. She had been in the cafe I mentioned, and saw a piece she wanted to buy, and the proprietor wouldn't make the sale for me!! I lost the sale, even though I told the lady I would ship whatever piece she wanted. They were on their way out of town, headed back to Seattle so she declined.

These things should not happen. In the future I will make sure that the proprietor of whatever place my art is at, will take over the selling of my work.

I know that being able to draw is a precious gift that I have been given. I do not take it for granted and I hope and pray that anyone who buys my work will love it long after the sale.

I am trying to make a piece to give to my doctor who literally saved my life a couple of months ago...just as a little way to say a "Thank You", because without his expertise, I would not be here today.

I also did a couple of pieces with hearts in them...hearts have always been a favorite theme of mine.

Not sure of the caption yet and it hasn't been cleaned up yet or framed...."Heartbeat"

This is done on a piece of scrapbook paper with raised French writing...and again, not cleaned up or framed...

"French Hearts"


Then, I finally decided to try my hand at doing a dog and a cat, plus I have an idea for another cat piece:'' The cat photograph didn't turn out very good but here is the dog:

You can still see the sketching lines and not much shading yet, but his name is "Scotty".

And, finally, I saw some work by a couple other Zen artists online and put their elements together to come up with this really fragile "Brain Circus".

Not a very good shot....I'm calling this "Brain Circus".



Today I think I'll start working on some Steampunk jewelry. I have lots of materials now and a couple of instruction booklets so now is the time to "jump in". Also, I need to finish up my christmas pieces...I'll show them to you when they are finished. I think they are pretty cute....

I really like this one...it's really on white paper but I couldn't make it show that way with my limited software, but the name of it is "Recovery", since it was the first piece I did after surgery.




Last, but not least...."Summer Bouquet"...done on pink paper...I love the colors in this. It was fun to do.

Peace and Love be with you all.

Thank you for reading my blog today.

Huggs, Janie

2 comments:

  1. You have been a very busy lady. I like al of the pieces. The Scotty dog is too cute with his bow and the last piece is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the really nice comment. I have been so busy that I didn't get in to my blog til tonight. I plan on writing a new post. I checked out your site....very interesting. Nice to see the art work too!!

      Delete