Saturday, February 18, 2012

The Artist Within



If you have read me very long, you know I'm into the arts, of all kinds. I love to draw, sew, do needlework, photography, almost anything creative....I love to do it.




It has been no secret that my most favorite thing of the recent past has been pen and ink abstract drawings. I haven't really been doing it much lately and have, in fact, been much more interested in sewing, and especially since my oldest daughter so generously gave me a brand new sewing machine for Christmas.

 

Yesterday I made a journey to a local fabric store which is more like a warehouse. It is delightful!!! I started looking at patterns and found the pattern I had been looking for and then started looking around for cotton fabric. There were stacks and stacks of cotton remnants as well as shelves and shelves of bolts of fabric. The stacks were $6.99/yard and the bolts were $9.99 and up/yard. I got some great pieces for the apron pattern!

 

I started looking around and found a table of remnents of drape and apolstery fabric. What a find!! Oh, for those of you who do not sew, a remnent is a piece of fabric from a 1/4 yard on up to several yards that the seller wants to move out of their inventory at a reduced price. Well, on the drape and apolstery table I found a couple of pieces that will make very interesting handbags.





So, on Facebook one of my dearest friends posted the following picture. I love it!!!! It really shows the difference between the right and left brain and how artists tend to see the world in a different way..



 
I had an art teacher in high school who told me that everyone has a little bit of artist in them, but that most are afraid to search it out. Most people say that "I can't draw a straight line"...well, I'm here to say that even artists use a ruler to DRAW A STRAIGHT LINE!!!

SO LET THE CREATIVITY BEGIN!!!

I hope you all find the artist within....
Janie

1 comment:

  1. I think there is art in almost everyone but not everyone is encouraged to find it. I know a therapist who did a lot of art therapy with her clients. She shared her knack for bringing out creativeness with a group of us who used to gather together and make cards before Valentine's day. We also blew eggs and decorated them for Easter. Fun times and interesting to watch people create who don't think they have a creative bone in their body.

    ReplyDelete