Tuesday, September 6, 2011

MAGIC FOUNTAIN IN BARCELONA, SPAIN

My daughters and I decided to go see the Magic Fountain the last night we were in Barcelona. We were dropped off at the beginning of the drive-way/road up to the large water fountain on the other end. It was night as the show is played every 1/2 hour from 9:30 pm until about 11:30 pm. Along this road are smaller fountains, with white lights.

Waterfalls along the sidewalk
As we got closer to the large fountain we saw thousands of people around the fountain and even up the hillside around small (?) waterfalls and below the large fountain were more small waterfalls.

Waterfalls on hillside

Waterfalls on hillside

Small waterfalls below the fountain
Just as we arrived to right at the side of the Magic Fountain the water started to rise, in different colors and patterns as classical music played. You could hear the Oh's and Ah's all around as the water fountain show commenced. Below are a few pictures which really don't give it justice, but it's better than not showing you anything. 









Water Fountain with the waterfalls on the hillside behind












Something very moving happened to me during this show. We were all standing there and during the show people would go up closer to the water and their friends/family would take photos of them. All of a sudden a woman, about my age, came up to me and handed me her camera. With hand signals she motioned to me to take her picture in front of the fountain. I nodded in understanding and agreement. I took her photo and she returned to me to get her camera. Then the unexpected....she took my hand in her's and lightly squeezed and looked at me with the most kind expression of thanks! It was such a moving experience as I knew, that even though she did not speak my "spoken language", she spoke the language of friendship...even momentary...between two women. I shall always remember that.

Thank you, Barcelona, for a magical evening! Janie

3 comments:

  1. Ah, your story gives me goosebumps! Love that!!!

    And, may I say your night photography is really top notch! I am loving your photos, Jane!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Susan. I have a great camera! Love you, Janie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this, Janie! I love the photos and the fountains, and the story about the other woman. How wonderful!

    ReplyDelete