Wednesday, September 14, 2011

My Changing Life

I started a job yesterday, part-time, so I could "get out" and meet new people, do new things, and spread my wings in a new area. I will be doing Admin work but in order to learn the business I am starting on the "floor", learning about the business by doing. The business is located in a warehouse-type building which has many other businesses in it, most of them some sort of artistic endeavors. As I stood at the counter doing my first task I listened to the sounds coming from the other businesses and it made me feel like I was in some way a part of the creative processes that give our world meaning. I really am having trouble telling you how I felt, but it was one of those times in your life that you feel like you are around like-minded people. It was awesome!! 

I am finding that I like the "big city", even the driving around. The freeways terrified me at first but now I'm feeling more confident and it's not so bad. The best part of living here is that there are so many things to do, activities, and more which I will start exploring soon. 

Upon leaving my new job yesterday I encountered a train...as the business is located in the area where there is a lot of train activity. Even sitting in a line of cars waiting for a train to move through the train signal was not a problem, even though it lasted for about 20 minutes! I believe I will return to listening to audio books because of long distances between places and the occasional traffic back-up and the train crossings.

Railroad hang-up
I am hopeful that by this time in a week or two I'll have living room furniture and maybe even dining room furniture. We take for granted that we will always have the comforts of home, and I have learned that a person can live without them but it is very hard. Our surroundings give us a sense of well-being, a sense of safety, a sense of belonging. As an artist, my surroundings need to feel welcoming and "warm". In that vein, I purchased a bit of whimsy yesterday, the first addition to my living room. His name is "Oscar". When I saw him in a store a few days ago I knew he belonged in my home. I'll add an imitation "tree" behind him and he will be complete. Isn't he just adorable??

Oscar the Giraffe

Oscar is about 6' tall

Adorable!!!
Relocating is a very hard job, it is something I have never done "on my own" before. In fact, I have never lived alone in my life. I have always taken care of other people and now I'm learning to take care of myself. It's overwhelming at times but I also feel that I'm learning a lot about myself, that I'm actually listening to myself, and making the changes that I need to make to be the healthy person I know I can be. 

I hope your never take for granted what you have - whether it be tangible possessions or emotional connections, they are both very important in our lives.

Janie

4 comments:

  1. Nice post, Jane. I started a new job about 10 days ago. It's the first time in my whole working life that I did not feel a bit of "nerves" on my first day. It's a great place to be in my life where I know that I'll learn what I need to get "it". One of the things I've noticed is that although the actual work is quite boring, I am loving working with a group of older women who are very kind and there is no drama. I hope it's the start of a new direction for my work life as I'd like to do something besides legal work.

    Hang in there with adjusting to having the place all to yourself. I promise I'll drive over for a visit once you've settled in. I'm only 4 hours away. By the way, I tried to send you a card before you left on your cruise and it got returned. Would you email me your address again and I'll check to see if I wrote it incorrectly?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oscar is adorable! And even though you have to still make a home for yourself, it's so much fun to find those pieces which are comfortable and reflect who we are. I know your place is going to be so welcoming and peaceful once you're totally settled.

    Congrats on the job! I'm excited for you! So many great changes for you, and I just know you're going to thrive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the job, the everything. I know it's hard but good for you for doing what you know you need to, especially for focusing on this new stage of your relationship to yourself. Embracing Self as the Beloved is a powerful powerful act. I applaud you!

    And Oscar is adorable. :o)

    ReplyDelete