Monday, May 19, 2014

A-Z TODAY IS G FOR GALLERY

I never in my wildest dreams thought that at the age of 69 I would be lucky enough to be in the position I am tonight. 

First of all, I have been a frustrated artist most of my life. Way back in high school, the school was brand new and our basketball team was called the Wildcats. The art department students were asked to turn in to the team a drawing of a wildcat. The winner would get to put that "drawing" on the wall of the gym....in paint and use a scaffolding to do so. I drew a stylized head of a wildcat and it was the one chosen!! So, every free minute of that year (I think it was my junior or senior year) I spent up on that scaffolding and literally left my mark on the school. 

Also, while in school I had thought I wanted to be an architect and I designed a round house that some professors from the University of Montana came to look at. They were very impressed at how I had used the space. I was never encouraged to go on to college....just get married and have babies, otherwise, I might have become an architect. 

After I got married I took one of those drawing tests that they used to have in magazines and on match book covers. I was told I had a lot of talent so I took an "at home" course that cost me $200!! That was a lot of money then but I could do a lesson and send it in and they would critique it and send it back to me. I was still able to take care of my daughter and husband. 

At one point I branched out into using oil paints but that didn't last long because I had a stroke at age 37 and lost all eye/hand coordination. It was several years before I did anything creative. I did some sewing and then started Tole Painting and some other things just to have things to take to the bazaars to earn some money. 

While living in Alaska I had a one woman show at a men's clothing store, of all places. It was a nice fit and I had a wonderful time doing it. Out of that show I got a nice commission which was really exciting. My art has always been different...something that two people can see and each really "see" something totally different. I love that. 

Then a few years ago I decided I would get really serious about my art after I retired. I gathered up all the supplies I could as I could afford them while I was still working. I got really sick and ended up selling everything I had which to this day I deeply regret. I should have put it in storage or something.

Then we moved to the Olympic Peninsula. Wow!! Sequim turned out to be an artsy community and right next to it (about 15 minutes away) is Port Angeles, also an artsy community. I joined a wonderful art organization (SequimArts.org) and volunteered to do what I know best...doing the newsletter. I love doing it and have made some really wonderful friends in that organization. Just last week they put me on the Board of Directors. I am pleased and humbled by it. 

I was selected to show one of my pieces in a Juried Art show recently and while I didn't get a "prize", it was prize enough just to be included. I am scheduled to be in a show in Port Angeles over the Memorial Day week-end, have a one-woman show scheduled in October, and one even already scheduled for 2015!! I'll probably have some pieces in the Fair as well. 

Last Friday, I went to see a space in an artist's working gallery in Port Angeles as I knew some of the artists that work there. I am so pleased to say that now, at this moment, I am a part of that wonderful group and will be officially moving in around the end of the month. 

The ad poster about our gallery in the Landing Mall....Landing Artists Studio

I will be showing and working at The Landing Artists Studio Gallery. I will be working with 5 other artists, each doing something entirely different...Fractals, Felted Scarves, Beading, and an Acrylic artist, as well as a fellow who is building a canoe. I don't have to work every single day because everyone looks out for each other and it's more about relationships with each other and doing art at the same time. Cruise ships come in there and who knows what the future will bring. This is something I have wanted for a very, very long time. I am so thankful for my friend, Pam, who is giving me this opportunity and being so supportive in so many ways. It feels as though I've known her forever and we have become good friends. I also need to give my wonderful husband the recognition he deserves for being my driver everywhere and supporting what I want to do with my art. His support has made all the difference.

So, as my saying goes "Don't Let Weeds Grow Around Your Dreams"....it is true and anything is possible from the time you get up in the morning until you go to sleep at night. 

I may not be Grandma Moses but there is still time......~laughing out loud~

Be Creative in your own way, Janie

4 comments:

  1. Be creative in your own way ... I love that! I'm so happy that moving was a good thing for you. Sounds like you have exposure to a lot more art community. Your post is inspiring, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the reasons I have "hung in there" is because you have always believed in me and given me a lot of support. It's something money can't buy and I find myself fortunate that you came into my life so many years ago. Always friends.

      Delete
  2. Janie, we are happy and excited to have you join us. You rock girlfriend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pam, I'm still pinching myself.

      Delete