Friday, May 2, 2014

A-Z: TODAY IT IS A!




  
COLLAGE ON CANVAS, ORIGINAL BY JANIE BRACKNEY
A is for Art. Someone said that art is in the eye of the beholder, and I believe that's true. I know that I like a lot of different things...from sculpture to abstracts to photographs. I'm still learning how to translate what's in my brain and how to put that to paper or canvas. I believe that's the journey many artists make. I also believe that some get stuck in a comfortable rut because it is "saleable". That is always the problem...do you do what you love because you enjoy it or do you do "art" because someone will buy it?

Since becoming ill last October and having shaking hands I have had to change from my long traditional pen and ink work (shown below) to new things not requiring such extreme hand control. It has been a pleasant experience actually as learning new things usually is for me, but it has also been and continues to be a little too traditional in some respects. HOWEVER, we live in a very traditional community and if I ever expect to get "sold" here I must either be tenacious and "stay the course" or buckle and do something more "safe". 

Tonight is the very first Juried Art Show I have ever entered and been accepted into. The juror picks the entries and then does the judging and tonight there will be $1500 worth of awards given out by the judge. I really don't expect to win anything but then I didn't expect to get a piece into the show either. This is the piece that is being judged and is up for sale as well (at the show):

UNDERSEA GARDEN, ORIGINAL PEN AND INK BY JANIE BRACKNEY
The end of this month I am also entered into the Art Gallery at the Juan de Fuca Art Festival in Port Angeles. I started going through my boxes of art and have several things I'm taking but these are two of my newest pieces. 

A LADY'S SHOE, ORIGINAL BY JANIE BRACKNEY
 This is a kind of pen and ink but enhanced with watercolors and some acrylics on white artist's paper. I have it framed in black with no mat at this point. I want to get it professionally framed. It think that makes all the difference at a show.

THE FLOWER GARDEN, ORIGINAL BY JANIE BRACKNEY
This is a larger piece and has been professionally framed. It is one of my newer collages, using everything from muslin to wall board paste to watercolors and charcoal. I am very proud of it and I'm afraid my photo doesn't really do it justice.

I hope that you follow your passion, no matter what it is. 

Janie

3 comments:

  1. I didn't win any awards, but it was just an honor to be among all those wonderful artists and see so much really awesome work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny how something forces us to branch out to do something else. I'm glad you are trying new things Janie! I love all your pieces here but especially the first canvas ... so pretty!

    ReplyDelete