Wednesday, June 4, 2014

A-Z: F is for Feelings

A STAR IN MY UNIVERSE
Feelings....There have been so many songs written about feelings. There are volumes of books filled with poetry about Feelings. And so here, tonight, I am pondering this 7 letter word. The definition of Feelings is:


1. The function or the power of perceiving by touch.
2. Physical sensation not connected with sight, hearing, taste, or smell.
3. A particular sensation of this kind: A feeling of warmth; A feeling of pain.
4. The general state of consciousness considered independently of particular sensations, thoughts, etc.
5. A consciousness or vague awareness.
6. An emotion or emotional perception or attitude: a feeling of joy; a feeling of sorrow.
7. Capacity for emotion, especially compassion: to have great feeling for the suffering and/or joy of others.
8. A sentiment; attitude; opinion.
9. Feelings, sensibilities; susceptibilities.
10. Fine emotional endowment.
11a. Emotion or sympathetic perception revealed by an artist in his or her work.
11b.The general impression conveyed by a work.
11c.Sympathetic appreciation, as of music.
 
Wow! Who would have thought that a simple word like Feelings could be described by so much, and yet when I examine my own feelings at this present time, they are as complicated and varied as those listed here, if not more. 
 
My feelings right now revolve around so many things....I "feel" such gratitude for my health getting so much better to the point where I am now allowed to drive again. I "feel" such  gratitude to be in the place where I am growing as a person and as an artist. I "feel" such gratitude to have an over-abundance of love in my life, which is both expected and unexpected. I "feel" so happy to have a renewed vigor for life and all that it can hold for me. 
 
A WORLD OF BLACK AND WHITE
 Things in life aren't always "black and white", and neither are feelings about things - at least for me. I am one of those people who looks at the whole picture and tries to paint it bright and having good intentions rather than seeing something dark and hurtful. I have been called a "Pollyanna". I wear that name proudly because I feel like if I give the next person the benefit of the doubt, and kindness, that they might, in turn, give that to someone else, and on and on. I want my feelings to be responsible for happiness in the world. I want my feelings to be responsible for joy in my own world
 
I heard and participated in a conversation today about loss of loved ones. Instead of making me feel sad, it made me feel even more grateful to be alive and to have purpose in my life. It made me even more grateful to have people to love and to be loved by. I am a very lucky person to have these things in my life and I will never, ever take them for granted. As I grow older, life becomes more precious and more of a miracle. It also rushes by so fast that I can hardly believe the change in seasons goes by so quickly. 
 
So, feelings, yes there is still the ever present pain from the degenerative discs in my back and the nerve endings that yell at me that I am alive, but....my feelings are full of grateful emotion as I write this....so thankful for those I call my friends and family and loved ones. 
 
Janie
 
MY LADY'S SLIPPER
 

1 comment:

  1. Great post, my friend! I believe my feelings are reflected in my artwork, whether it is a photo or letter I've written. My feelings are reflected in how well I keep my house and how much care I place into cooking a meal for my husband. In that sense, my feelings are very tangible. I'm like you in that it feels like life is happening at twice the speed! Might as well bring joy into it! signed, the other Pollyanna Love you!

    ReplyDelete