Sunday, June 1, 2014

A-Z: T is for THANKFULNESS

I know that there are a lot of things in life to be thankful for....someone to love, someone to love you, a child, a grandchild, a home, food on the table, the ability to take care of yourself and your loved ones, good health or the recovery from bad health, good friends, forgiveness of others, a new car to drive, etc., and the list can go on and on. 

Today I'm thankful for two things in particular...my oldest daughter whom we will call "Rez" and second, a big step closer to a reality. It seems that whenever I call on Rez for anything I really need, she is there. She has always been more of a really awesome friend than a daughter to me. She is one of those people who as a child had an "old soul". Now as an adult she has the enthusiasm for life as a child would. She soaks up knowledge and has a thirst for life that few people have. There isn't anything she does 1/2 way. She has been known to put costumes together without the benefit of a pattern, and makes all the elements of that costume from a hat (of a certain period) to the rest of it, even down to the shoes. She has been known to make chain mail that protects one's body from the blows of a sword and then learned to swing a real steel sword, participating in the Seattle Knights. She decided to take up running and has done several 1/2 marathons and a full marathon. Her dedication to running is nothing less than amazing. She is a gifted musician, getting a full ride scholarship after playing a cello for an instructor at the university she wanted to go to. Please know that she had only been playing that cello about two weeks and had played the violin for years prior to that. She is one of those people that makes hard work look like child's play because she has this laughter and attitude that makes it seem "fun". I am certain that if all the friends she has were called upon to gather in one place that there would be no existing building to hold them all. In one word, she is amazing. I have always told her that when I grow up I want to be like her. She says, "My mom doesn't make no garbage". Well, whether or not I had anything to do with the way she has turned out as a woman, I am proud to know her and to call her not only my daughter, but my friend. 

Anyway, Rez said she was going to come visit me over the weekend and it happened to be the weekend that I needed to get my studio/gallery set up in Port Angeles (PA). No problem, she said....even though she is still fighting off a bad col and not feeling up to par. So we loaded up the car and off we went to PA. 

CLOSE UP OF MY WALL INSTALLATION

 After working much of the day we left with it looking like this....practically put together. I still have several things I need to do and put out before I will call it "done". I say "done" because as with any place of business you keep moving things around to keep it looking fresh. The great thing about this place I'm in is that it is an Artist's Studio/Gallery and when you come there you will see an artist or two working on their craft. I am thank for this space to call my own, to feel pride in work hard done though I love it, and now that I have no problems with the hand tremors I experienced for months, I can again do what I love to do. 

FULL-ON IMAGE OF MY "SPACE" in PA      
I'm not only thankful for the space, but for the friendships and camaraderie that I feel there. It has a "Welcome Home" feeling to it and knowing that I can add to that feeling is without measure. 

Rez and I got much done but only because she was there to climb the ladder, put up with me changing my mind, being handy with an electric drill in putting a bookcase together, and being my chauffeur.  I feel like I can move forward now to finish the space in a way that's pleasing to me. 

This morning my back hurts so much I can hardly move, but it's a good feeling....a feeling of having done something wonderful, a feeling of having accomplishment, and a feeling of joy. 

If you are ever in the vicinity of PA and have a urning to see the port and the interesting things that go on over there on any given weekend in the summer, or if you want to attend a Second Saturday Art Walk (from 5-8 pm), please to go The Landing and say hello to the ladies and gentleman who occupy the Artist's Studio of the Landing. I might be there, sitting at my work desk and you might find something you can't leave behind, something that has come from within an artist that will add something special to your home or office. Each artist is talented in their own way which you will see when you visit. 

This won't be the last story about my mew adventure but I hope you understand how thankful I am for both the help of Rez and the opportunity I have in PA.  Onward and upward!!

Have a wonderful weekend, and Oh, by the way, don't get used to a new blog entry every day!! But then again, I might have stories to tell more often and pictures to show.

Huggs, Janie

No comments:

Post a Comment