Saturday, June 14, 2014

A-Z: S is for SUPERSTITIONS



Yesterday was my lucky day. I have several of them each year, noT many, but a few. It is on those days that I feel almost invincible, super-human, untouchable, etc.!! It was FRIDAY THE 13TH!!!!! I was born on the 13th and every day that falls on the 13th is a good luck day to me. Those same feels are not so in the world, in general.

Well, it wasn't just ANY Friday the 13th yesterday, it also had a full moon. Moon was my first word. As I was growing up I felt that if I slept in the moonlight that I would grow up to be beautiful. I must have read that in one of my childhood books or something, but every chance I got I would open the curtains and lay on the bed where the moonlight hit and sleep there.

Many people have different superstitions. Some are good for you and others can be a problem for you if you really believe them. You have probably heard the one where if you step on a crack in the sidewalk you will break your mother's back. Or if a black cat crosses your path that you'll have bad luck. Oh, and the one where if you break a mirror you'll not only have bad luck, you will have 7-10 YEARS bad luck!! Everyone knows walking under an open ladder is bad luck too. Right?

A CARD COVER I MADE SEVERAL YEARS AGO


Other superstitions are:
  • 13: An unlucky number
  • 3: a lucky number that signifies strength
  • 666: The Devil's number, bad luck
  • 7: a lucky number
  • A bird that comes in your window brings bad luck
  • A bride should be carried through the door of their new home for good luck.
  • A groom seeing the bride before the wedding is supposed to be bad luck.
  • A lock of hair from a baby's first haircut should be kept for good luck
  • A person cannot drown before going under three times
  • A rabbit's foot brings good luck
  • An apple a day keeps the doctor away
  • An itchy palm means money will come your way
  • At the end of a rainbow is a pot of gold
  • Clothes worn inside out will bring good luck
  • Cold hands, warm heart
  • Crossing your fingers helps to avoid bad luck and helps a wish come true
  • Don't open an umbrella inside - it is unlucky
  • Dream the same thing 3 times, it will come true
  • Four leaf clover is good luck
  • Garlic protects from evil spirits and vampires
  • If the bottom of your feet itch, you will make a trip
  • If the groom sees her in her wedding dress before the wedding is also considered bad luck and is believed to lead to an unhappy marriage
  • If you blow out all of the candles on your birthday cake with the first breath you will get whatever you wish for
  • If you spill some salt, pick some of it up and throw it over your left shoulder to stop bad luck from coming.
  • If your nose itches someones coming that you know
  • To find a four-leaf clover is to find good luck
  • To give someone a purse or wallet without money in it will bring that person bad luck
  • To have a wish come true using a wishbone, two people make a wish, then take hold of each end of the bone and pull it until it separates. The person with the longer end gets his or her wish
  • To make a happy marriage, the bride must wear: something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue
  • Warm hands, cold heart
  • Washing a car will bring rain on
  • When you speak of good luck, always knock on wood
  • When your palm itches, you will come into some money
These are to name just a few of the hundreds out there. Our language is sprinkled with these "sayings" and we really think nothing of it.

My Friday the 13th was spent with my daughter, having our nails done, eating at delicious restaurants, seeing old friends, and talking to those I love. Bad luck comes and goes, and as far as I am concerned bad luck comes in threes....now I'd call that a superstition too, wouldn't you?

Have a great one! Janie
A PIECE I STARTED AND LEFT - LARGE 16"X20"

No comments:

Post a Comment