Friday, June 27, 2014

A-Z: R is for THE MOST REMARKABLE DAY!!

As most of you know, I have been given the opportunity to be a part of a small working studio/gallery in Port Angeles, WA, about a 1/2 hour from my home in Sequim. It has been like a dream come true for me, not only to be 'there', but to rub shoulders each day with other artists who do wonderful, inspiring work. I feel like they are my new extended family and I love the creative energy I feel when I'm there. 

It is a working studio in that we all work on our art while we are there, a person making pottery, another does fractals on the computer (math based art), another is an acrylic painter, another makes jewelry, and the only man in our group is making a canoe. We each have our own area but the whole "gallery" is an open room for people to be able to browse, ask questions, and watch us work. 

I recently took a vacation to Alaska to see my youngest daughter and her husband as well as my step-daughter and my grandson. When I returned I was told that one of my first drawings had sold and that the man who bought it wanted to meet the artist. Well, today he came in to the studio and picked up his piece and got to meet "the artist". 

It has always been difficult for me to see the abilities I have, especially where my art is concerned, because I create it for me first and foremost. In talking to this man (Brian), I found out that he is very knowledgeable about art, the "masters" of eras past, of techniques, and so on. I was wondering to myself, 'what in the world is he interested in my work for?'. He started to tell me that he was so impressed with my work, with the distance of each line being so precise, with the look on the woman's face in another drawing, and on and on. He said that he had not seen talent like mine in a very long time and that I was way under priced. He asked how long it took me to do the piece he purchased, and spent about 1/2 hour to 45 minutes talking with me. 

When he told me that he had purchased the piece for a friend, I was so surprised since he liked it so much that I thought it was for him. Then he told me that he had come to Port Angeles to die, that he is ill and won't recover. He told me that he has made peace with this and is ready for the time to come when his adventure will continue elsewhere. He and I finally shook hands and he left with my wrapped piece under his arm. 

I sat down at my work table and began to resume working on my current project and all of a sudden was overcome with emotions. This man, virtually a stranger to me, had given me a gift so precious that it is priceless. His words of praise and encouragement will be with me as long as I live. I did not feel sorrow for him because he is ready to "go", but I was overcome because he had seen in my work what comes out of my heart when I make something.

The piece Brian bought is called "The Red Maze". Each section of it is a different pattern and it is a piece that I did about 4 years ago, finally got it professionally framed, and kept it. I didn't like it when I did it, but kept it anyway. 

I'm so glad I did. 


No comments:

Post a Comment