Wednesday, May 25, 2011

The Artist's Heart

I follow a blog I receive by email and the one I received this morning made such an impression on me that I wanted to share parts of what this person wrote.
They received a heart in the mail. A clay heart. Heavy for its size, beautifully glazed. It looked like a pastry. When it was unwrapped this person rubbed it with his/her fingers and palm and found it was very satisfying.


This was a tough little heart in pastel colors. It looked sweet but was hard. On the back was an inscribed spiral and a hole. The artist had sent a note that said, "I had to put a hole in the heart or it would explode in the kiln. Remember to breathe when in the creative fire." That is what every heart must endure--to be pierced and bruised, marked and damaged, and healed to work effectively. 

We, as creative people--we put our hearts out there and show them to people, willing to be accepted or rejected, loved or hated. Being creative means risking it all.

This meant a lot to me especially today because last night I had a second showing of my "fine art". It was a small gallery but over 50 people attended. I was one of several artists who showed last evening. I didn't sell anything but the fact that that many people came to see all the art and enjoy an evening of art, music, and conversation was very special. 

I am eternally grateful to my friends who look out for me, for my daughter who came and stayed most of the evening with me, and for all those who come to see what others put their hearts into. My friend, Lori, told me about this show and without her "looking out for me", I would never had known about it. I made some new contacts and friends last night and believe this will lead to more shows.

BEST MOMENT OF YESTERDAY:
I created a small piece on brown canvas paper as a door prize for the art show I participated in. The woman who won my piece showed it off, was so thrilled to receive it, and came to tell me that she loved my work. Wow!

ZENTANGLE FOR TODAY:
This was my small grouping at the Art Show last night. I'll do close-ups of my new pieces in a few days. My art is still at the gallery.


I hope that your heart is protected from the pain and piercings of life, and that your day is the best day of your life so far.

Huggs,
Janie

1 comment: