Saturday, April 16, 2011

My Great-Grandmother

I have always felt a kinship to my Great-Grandmother, Icy Dora Phillips. She died when I was 5 years old but I remember the times I spent at her house. She was married to a professional gambler who I never saw or knew because he was never home. My Great-Grandmother was very artistic and I like to think I got a tiny bit of her talent. She used to pain her own china and fire it, hooked huge rugs (long before you could buy a kit with the pattern stamped on burlap), and painted on every flat thing she could find. When we found some of her paintings and took them apart to re-frame them, we found another picture on the other side in some cases!! She painted in oils and I love her pictures. We have the following pictures hanging in our living room.





I remember she used to have huge piles of different color rags, torn into strips and sorted in her living room. She let me play in those piles of rags.


I sometimes think she must be watching over me and helping me when I am dealing with a particular problem. Yes, I believe in Guardian Angels, at least in my case. LOL  I wish so often that she was still alive, that I could sit at her knee and learn how to do all the things that she did so well. 


When she died she was working on a set of china for me. She had already done a set for my aunt, my cousin, my grandmother, and my mother. When I say "set", it was like settings for 8 people....large dinner plates, salad plates, dessert plates, cups, saucers, soup bowls, 4 large serving bowls, and a platter. Each was in a design of her own and different from the others. Because I didn't get a whole set, my mother had all her unfinished pieces fired and I have had them over the years. There is a salad set of a large bowl with 4 smaller bowls all in various states of completion, a cocoa set with a large pitcher and 4 mini cups, various cups and saucers, various serving dishes, very small soup terrines, a couple of vases, and other assorted china. I have always treasured it but have used it for every occasion other than the everyday meals. I want others to see her work and I know she is pleased when I use it at a dinner party or as I did today for my daughter's birthday get-together. No celebration of any kind would be the same without her china being present. My mother and grandmother passed their china on to me and I gave a set to my oldest daughter and have another set which will go to my other daughter. 


I also have quilts that Icy made and we have used them until they are falling apart. What good would they be doing in a chest where no one would see them and they wouldn't be used for what they were made for? I certainly hope that when I'm gone that my children will use the things they inherit from me that are "special". 


I am very thankful for the memories I have of this special lady. She was odd in her own way and was a Holy Roller....and I remember being in her house and she would be in the church on the corner across the street and I could hear them shouting and singing....how mysterious it all was to a 5 year old. 


I drive by her house every time I get to Hamilton, Montana. The people who have it now have really fixed it up and it's very cute. I also have to go to her grave....just to pay my respects. My visits there are few and very far between but very memorable to me. I come away feeling more complete somehow.


SPECIAL MOMENT FOR TODAY:
Today is my youngest child's 30th birthday. It is Lizzy's birthday and I have spoken of her here before. She is a wonderful young woman and I'm very proud to be her mom. Happy Birthday, Sweetheart.






ZENTANGLE FOR TODAY:
This is a Zentangle in process. It started out with the A and the word ALWAYS....which are rub-ons. I'll photograph it again when it is completed.




Have a wonderful spring day!!
Janie


I hope you have a great day

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that painting of the sheep is really great! I forgot I had china my dad gave to me until I had the kids coming for Thanksgiving. I hope I get to use it more often. I'm with you ... use the stuff. It's just collecting dust otherwise.

    Love the tangle, as always!

    ReplyDelete