Monday, April 4, 2011

A Wonderful Opportunity

For a long time now I have wanted to be a "First Friday in Downtown Fairbanks Featured Artist". Select stores in downtown Fairbanks stay open later and have a "featured artist" in their store. The store serves refreshments and it is always held on the first Friday of each month. I always felt that anyone featured was really an artist. Well, I am going to be a featured artist on the First Friday of May!! Frank's Menswear, a new store for men who wear suits, etc. - more the business man's store - has asked me to be their featured artist for May!!


Am I excited? Well, that would be an understatement!!!! Do I feel like I'm finally a "real" artist? NO! But it is a start...and I am very thankful for it. You can check out Frank's Menswear on 3rd Avenue in Fairbanks and they also have a site on Facebook with a link to their web site too.


I will be showing only my Zentangle art and I have contacted a couple other stores to see if they might be interested in featuring me in June, July, or August. Wish me luck.


I have decided to add two features to my blog:  1. Positive Highlight of Today and 2. Zentangle of the Day.  So............. 


POSITIVE HIGHLIGHT OF TODAY:
Today I received an email from a lady I don't know who lives in San Antonio. She is taking an on-line class that I'm taking (on flower making), and she visited my blog and my web site and looked into Zentangle and is now "HOOKED"! She wrote to thank me for sharing this with everyone. I am sooooo happy another person has found this wonderful version of art and relaxation. It was so nice of her to write me.


ZENTANGLE OF THE DAY:
Today's Zentangle is a new pattern I learned today. It isn't very good but it's all I have to show today. I'll keep working on the pattern and a few other new patterns too.




I hope today is full of wonderful pleasant discoveries about yourself.
Janie

7 comments:

  1. Hi Janie Love! Do you have a post that explains "zentangle"? I'm fascinated and I love your work. I'd like to understand more about it, how you make it and out of what, for example? Thank you! I'm so glad I found your blog! And congratulations on being a featured artist! I'm so happy for you. You are an artist sweetie. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's exciting news, Jane! What a great experience that will be. We have a similar event here in the summer time. I've only attended it once in late September. My friends from the photography club apparently showcase their work sometimes. I love the addition of "features" to your blog!

    May I suggest to "Calleaghn" a website I just joined where I receive a daily "how to" tangle pattern: http://tanglepatterns.com/ I love the emails because they break down exactly how to draw the tangle.

    Good seeing your posts! Missed you last week!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. SuddenlySusan: I was in the hospital, mostly due to the chronic pain I have in my back. It's great to be home and in my own bed! LOL I have missed blogging too. I find I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Calleaghn: The web site that SuddenlySusan mentioned is the best. There are also 4 books out now about Zentangle and the library might even have them...but they can be purchased on Amazon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations Janie on being selected for the show! How exciting for you!!! I'm blog-hopping from the Strathmore workshop site, and loving your zentangles! I haven't done any, but I've been admiring them on other sites. They look interesting.
    Cindi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much VStarRider! Come back anytime!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, this is exciting news janie! I love seeing your designs. I've checked out a couple zentangle pages including one with a video (wish I'd bookmarked it for Calleaghn). Once I can hold a pencil again, I'm goin to give them a try. I used to do beading in a medative way, but can't bead anymore (or at least haven't been able to for the last several years). Why knows what will happen with the new thumb joints!

    Otter

    ReplyDelete