Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Lists

i am a list-maker.  i always have been. the first thing in the morning after breakfast i sit down with my daytimer and my "to do tablet" and make a list or update an existing list, and make sure my "Current Day" list is accurate. So today i have:

  • make English pasties
  • do dishes
  • take laundry to downstairs
  • do laundry
  • clean out guinea pig cages
  • blog
  • calls: nail appt. for Gracie; nail appt. for Tilly and Molly; social security office
  • ironing
  • photograph paper stacks to put up on ArtFire.com
So, will i accomplish all that? in a word..............maybe. When i'm sitting on my rump (as i'm doing right now) i feel like i can do absolutely ANYTHING!! well, logically, i will not accomplish what my body is telling me right now. Chances are that i will accomplish *some* of my list. 

oh, yah....forgot, i have an appointment in town too if the roads aren't too slick. ugh! i hate going to town because it breaks up my day and it's very difficult to get in the swing of things when i get back :(

i love lists because then i don't have to rely on what is rapidly becoming a stone-age memory! i can't remember anything so everything MUST be written down! i also have note cards by the bed just in case i need to write something down. 

Also, i love lists because i can check everything off as i get things accomplished and seeing my check marks feels so awesome!! Do you make lists? what kind of lists?  so, i make lists for packing, shopping, accomplishing tasks, lists for "To Be Done Prior to Trip to Seattle", etc. If i go to the store without a shopping list...be it 5 items or 50 items...i'll forget something for sure! 

Lists have always been part of my goal-setting formula - for long-term and short-term. You know, so i want to get a new top and in six months i want to make a new appointment for an eye exam....or whatever. Since my daughters and i are going on a trip to Barcelona, Spain, Cruise to Italy, and spend a week in Paris, France i have also started lists for the trip: where to stay with amenities and prices, what to do with prices, where to eat with prices, etc. i want them to have a list of possibilities with prices so they can make informed decisions when it comes time to book excursions, etc. 

Maybe i should have been a travel agent because i have always been detail-oriented and have always made lists so i don't forget even the smallest detail. i love putting large projects together too. When i was working i loved huge projects that required a lot of organization and my list-making came in very handy. 


i really don't understand people who have no goals....even short-term "for today" type goals. How in the world do they ever accomplish anything? 

LIFE HAPPENS TO YOU WHILE YOU ARE MAKING PLANS

This quote is very meaningful to me....because so many people just sort of "happen" through life and then when they are old ask themselves why they didn't do this or didn't do that. NO PLANNING!!

Anyway, here's to all of you who are list-makers....may we accomplish much in life and may our days be filled with checking off items on our lists!!! LOL

Have a most productive day!
janie

2 comments:

  1. I'm a list maker too. My husband makes fun of me but he has come to rely on my lists for things like packing for a camping weekend. I have a computerized list for that. I also usually have a lunch-time list of no more than 4 tasks. I'm like you ~ I like to cross things off my list. When I have a lot of places to go on Saturdays, I try to make a great big circle so I'm not back-tracking. I love lists, too!!

    P.S. When you are you traveling? Sounds fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We leave on August 23rd and get home September 10th.

    You are so funny! i, TOO, make a circle of places i need to go so i don't do any back-tracking! Who would have thought???

    ReplyDelete