Monday, January 31, 2011

What's Happening In Our World Today - A Rant?

Today is probably going to be a rant of sorts..... but FIRST!

Small black on white Zentangle done in about an hour.  I'm into the "weeds" thing.


So, this week a dear, dear friend is having a really devastating family drama played out in the local newspaper. Now, I tend to read the more "human interest" stuff rather than the "news" stuff, to be honest. I like reading about a family member being reunited with a long lost relative, or someone winning the lottery for the third time, or whatever. I even read about family tragedies in the news. But this is the first time I know all the parties involved and the pain spilled out on the front page of the paper is only the tip of the iceberg. This poor family has had countless other sorrows in their lives, and in particular, my friend. Does she need this? Of course not! She is a hard working, loving wife and mother, who cares for her parents and anyone else who comes to her door in need. She would give you the shirt off her back!! And to top it all off, she always has a smile and a kind word for everyone. I had lunch with her and we had a chance to talk and I'm here to tell you that she is definitely a survivor!! She has no idea where her life will go from here or what will happen with the rest of the family that is involved in this senseless sadness, but SHE, yes, she will go on and be strong.

My point is, why does the media think that lives, any of our lives are a free-for-all....that anything that anyone does can be spread all over the newspaper for our neighbors, co-workers, and friends to see??? I just hope that I never get in that position or that any of my loved ones get in that position. 

I guess my friend's predicament really brought close to home, how complacent we can be about our privacy...when it can all of a sudden, without a moment's notice, be open for the world to see.

I hope you have a Zentangle kind of day!
Janie

Large blue on white Zentangle grouping. (about 9"x12")



2 comments:

  1. We are living in strange times where people & institutions often want to tear others down instead of lifting them up. I just said to a friend yesterday that it is my humble opinion that the world consists of 95% good people but that's not what we hear about in the media. "Good" news doesn't sell papers. Your friend is lucky to have you, Jane! The best gift anyone can give is their time. Thanks for the reminder.

    P.S. I love your flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Susan. I seem to go in "streaks"...one week it's flowers, another week it's something else...and the new "weeds" and ocean-looking plant Zentangle patterns have really taken my interest lately.

    ReplyDelete