Monday, January 24, 2011

More Zentangles

OK, I'm addicted. I admit it. When I don't feel good, I 'tangle'. When I'm tired, I 'tangle'. When I want to relax, I 'tangle'. When I need some rejuvenation time, I 'tangle'. What's 'tangling'? It is the actual act of doing a Zentangle. 

I have a box of pens, Micron pens in sizes .005, .01, .001, .02, and .03, in Red, Green, Blue, Brownish-red, Purple, and Black beside my chair in the living room. I have a tablet of nice drawing paper, pencils, and my booklet of Zentangle patterns there also.
Pattern Book


My booklet of Zentangle patterns is my 'cheat sheet' if you will...when I learn a new pattern, I put it in this booklet. As the picture above shows, I draw the progression of the pattern so I will be able to do it again in the future.

I have my favorite patterns...like the plant-like patterns with no structured enclosure, and I like rounded or curved patterns for some reason. I have done these in the last couple of days.

As you can see, I'm into the "curve" phase...LOL 

At Christmastime, when my son was here from Seattle, he suggested that I get a "tablet" for my computer...one like the graphic designers use. Apparently they come with a pen and different tips and you can 'draw' on this and it shows up in your computer...and you end up with an electronic Zentangle (or picture, whatever). So, when I go to Seattle next month I am going to go see these things and try one out. 

Digitized Tablet

So, I was looking around online at what other artists are doing and it really helps inspire me. I saw one Canadian artists' things and they were really good...and a bit different. Yesterday I started getting sick...but couldn't go to bed (long story), so I sat down with my pen (Blue) and drew a free-hand "image" of rounded corners, etc. I had every intention of filling it in as I usually do. Instead, as I started working on it I began to do patterns along the lines and place flowers in the rounded areas. The more I worked on it the more I liked it. Today I'll get a blue colored pencil and shade it here and there and maybe do some white highlights on the blue.... Anyway, here is the piece as it was when I went to bed a couple nights ago and then the piece with some light blue shading.


I think i need to darken up the blue shading...so I'll start working on it and repost it again in the future.

I hope I am not boring you with my passion/addiction....but it is fun to share this with you, my friends and readers. Any suggestions for a future piece would be greatly appreciated!

Wishing you a creative and WARM day! Yesterday it was -37F. Brrrrrrrr! Today it's a lot warmer. YAH!!

Janie

5 comments:

  1. No, not boring at all. I'm intrigued. I tried just doing a little Zentangle myself but I think I may need to get a book about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joggles.com has all the books...maybe Barnes and Noble, I don't know. The normal Zentangle is done on a 3.5" square piece of art paper. You can buy the kit...squares and pen from Zentangle.com too. Good luck...it's a great pass time!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love those designs. There's such movement in them. Graceful movement. Like dancing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for the compliment, Susan!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OOOOOOOOOOOOOOH When you were talking about the Tablet last night I didnt realize what you were talking about! 2 years ago for Christmas Howard bought me a Bamboo Tablet! I LOVE IT!!!!!!!! I love the stuff you do by hand. Please dont stop!

    ReplyDelete