Thursday, January 6, 2011

Receiving Unexpected Praise

my friend, Susan (of http://freezerburned-suddenlysusan.blogspot.com/ fame) is the one who inspired me to start a blog. Yesterday i started reading her blogs that i had missed and one was, of all things, about me!! As i read it the tears developed in my eyes and i was filled with such a wonderful feeling. she could not know that i am struggling with life right now and that her words were really touching and encouraging. i must admit that i have received words of praise and thanks from others (unexpectedly) too. It tells me that we each carry with us a great sense of responsibility in that whatever we do - good or not - can impact others. We don't know what our actions or our words will do to another's life....but someday, if we are lucky, we will have a friend like Susan who will let us know that we weren't so bad afterall. 

i grew up with a father who wanted a son instead of a daughter, and there was never anything i did that was good enough. i have carried that criticism with me all my life...and perhaps it has made me a better person than i might otherwise have been. i try not to be critical of others, i try to give others the benefit of the doubt, i understand that a rude person may be having a really rotten day, that we ALL have a cross to bear...each one is different, that's all.
one of my favorite quotes "THERE ARE NO ORDINARY MOMENTS" reminds me that each and every moment in our lives counts. if we hurt someone it might never go away for that person, if we do someone a wrong it might never be corrected. Each and every moment you live is the last time you will live THAT moment...each is special in it's own right. Do i want to leave hurt feelings in my path? Do i want to ruin someone else's day? Do i want to litter my life with harsh words, unkind actions, and shredded feelings of another? Absolutely not!!  i have always tried to make others feel better for having met me. if i have one chance to get it right, why would i want to blow it? 

i have been on the receiving end of unimaginable anger, harshness, hate, and mean actions...and mostly by those who by all rights should care about me. Well, we can't pick our family but we can pick our friends and it has been through my friends that healing has occurred. 

i have a many friends...one of them, Lori, always has words of encouragement and praise for me. her kindness in both words and deeds touches me deeply. As with most of my friends, i don't see her very often. But friendship transcends space, time, and distance and though we don't see each other much, she is always there for me. And so is my friend, whom i have never met face-to-face, jacqui in West Virginia. jacqui has been the source of loving support for the past 13 years. she, herself, has very little in worldly possessions, has faced horrifying health issues her whole life, yet always has the kindest words for me. There are others....too numerous to mention.....who are very special to me and who always build me up.  

it's very hard to "GIVE" to others when you have nothing in your "reserve" to give....so it's important that you surround yourself with those who love you and put "stuff" into your reserve. That way you can give of yourself and help fill others' reserves too. 

it is my hope that there will never be another day that i hurt someone. it is my hope that i will always give more than i receive. it is my hope that i will never lose sight of my motto "THERE ARE NO ORDINARY MOMENTS". 

May your today be filled with kindness.... 
janie

PS thank you sooooo much, Susan!!

No comments:

Post a Comment