Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Wedding Dresses and Zentangle with Gold!

I just got hooked on this show on Netfliks called "Say YES To The Dress"! It is a reality series (I don't usually like reality shows) about Klienfield Bridal Salon in New York City. The story revolves around 3-4 brides who come to the store and all the bridal consultants and owners that help these ladies find that one special dress that will make their special day perfect. 



Now I'm a  "girlie-girl" and love, Love, LOVE wedding dresses!! This show even has a designer that comes on once in a while and they take two gowns and make one out of it sometimes. This show even takes you to the work area where the real magic happens, where fittings happen and things are finalized!! 



I have seen beautiful gowns from name brand designers that I have known about all my life and been able to see them close-up. It's so cool learning about the brides and their stories and what kind of weddings they end up having, so the stories are completed for the viewer. 

This show makes me want to go buy a wedding dress!! Or at the very least, try a bunch on just to feel beautiful again. I really miss dressing up and looking glamorous once in a while...of having a place to go to and be seen and have on that special gown...maybe not a wedding gown, but an evening gown would be so awesome! 



It has been no secret around our house that I have been having some pretty tough depression problems...some of it is due to the chronic pain I have and other factors. This show makes me feel so good, and brings tears to my eyes when I see these mothers and their daughters finding the special dress and crying because of the wonder of the moment. There is something so special about "that" dress....

For my first wedding centuries ago I wore a dress that my girlfriend made for me. It was a simple empire waist, white satin dress, long and straight with a bit of lace on the bodice with long sleeves and a square neckline. My veil was the same lace as the dress. It was pretty but did not have the WOW factor that a bride wants for her wedding day. The dress didn't have a zipper and my girlfriend who was my maid of honor, had to sew me into the dress.

For my second wedding I had to find something in a week's time....and living in Fairbanks Alaska the pickings were VERY, VERY slim!! I chose a yellow, two piece linen suit, with the jacket having short sleeves and a sweetheart neckline. It was nice...but not special. I really *REALLY* wanted to wear something special...but the situation and circumstances didn't warrant it. It was really planned by my fiance and I only had a week to get it together. 

I do not plan on ever getting married again and at my age there is no ball gown with a WOW factor in my future. Nope, my time for something special is long past...and in a way I feel gypped that I didn't get to ever have that experience that these brides and their mom's have. The closest I have ever come to that was wedding dress shopping with my youngest daughter for her wedding. We actually flew to Seattle to shop for the gown and it was a delightful experience. She looked stunning in everything! 

Anyway, if you get a change and are into brides and dresses, go check out this show. It is a wonderful diversion!!

Have an awesome day!
Janie

PS. So I have done a few Zentangles with some added gold leaf on them. I really like the look...and am interested in what you think....



4 comments:

  1. Oh, I do love the gold leaf on your Zentangles! So, do you have a place where you put your favorite "designs"? Or do you look at ones you've done before and incorporate into your new drawings?

    P.S. I look really terrible in white. But I sure do love these dress designs you posted up. Wouldn't you love to go to one of those fashion shows in NY?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have actually had all my designs scattered and stacked all over the house! I want to get a portfolio to keep them in while I'm in Seattle. I really don't look at my old designs very often..you know, out of sight, out of mind. But I have been photographing them and I need to give each one a "name" or "title" and have the filed like that. Sometimes I really should look at the older ones. It would probably be very helpful!

    I would love to go to a couple fashion shows in NY!! I would love to try on gowns too!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I watch that show whenever I can. I love it too! I don't like it when the mothers are overbearing or don't like the dress that their daughter loves. It should be the daughter's choice and the mother should be happy for her that she found something she feel beautiful in.

    When I was married the first time (justice of the peace), I wore a pale green dress with lace trim. It was OK, but nothing special. It was bought last minute as I eloped and really had no time to plan.

    When I married Steve, I only had a month to plan for our wedding, but I knew I wanted to wear a white wedding gown. It was a JC Penney bridal gown, but it was gorgeous: mermaid tail, lace trim, etc. Of course this was the early 90s when puffy sleeves were the rage. Nevertheless, I felt GORGEOUS, and I was radiant in it. It made the day perfect. I wish now I could even get one leg into it. I was a skinny thing then!

    I love your Zentangles! They are so delicate and also very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you have a wedding picture you could share? i would love to see your white puffy sleeve dress!

    ReplyDelete