Tuesday, March 15, 2011

THE AFTERMATH

Fish carved out of ice at the Ice Park.
Art Expo 11 was a BUST!! I was under the impression it was for "fine art"....not crafts and "etc." In essence, it was a craft show and my work was really out of place and not in the price range most "craft shoppers" are looking for. I was very disappointed because of all the work I put into getting everything framed and ready to go. I sold not one piece!! That has never happened to me at a show before. My space was $50 (9' x 8') - a very generous space. 


Aside from the negative feelings I have from the show....some other "ideas" came out of it:


a. Copyright some of my pieces.


b. Sell my copyright pics to tattoo parlors or folks who make "skins" for cell phones and computers.


c. Hold a workshop (my idea of an all day workshop and provide supplies and lunch for $65). I had 5 women sign up for such a workshop.


d. Have classes for kids during the summer....a full morning or afternoon for 6 kids per class, provide supplies and snacks and charge $50 or so.


e. Take my work to some of the nicer stores in Fairbanks and ask if they might carry it or take it on consignment.


f. Find out if the University might hire me to teach during their summer sessions about the arts.


Well, these are potentially a way to earn money but on top of that I love to do the creation process. It is in my blood....I need it!! 


So, now I need to decide what I'm going to do.....


1. Get photos done of each piece


2. Get my pieces uploaded to ETSY.com, ARTFIRE.com, ARTID.com, and tangletangled.com. 


3. Go to a couple of stores to see if they would be interested in my work.


I had LOTS of feedback....lots of folks telling me how good my work is, how creative and beautiful it is, etc. It was great to hear but the fact is, no one liked it enough to take it home with them. 


I'll have to ponder on this and the other things and re-evaluate in what direction my art will go. In the meantime I am CERTAIN that I will never do another Art Expo with the Fairbanks Arts Association again. It will not be worth my time or effort. 


I hope you are enjoying the Alaska Sunshine....and if you aren't, too bad for you!! LOL
Janie


More Ice Park pictures for your enjoyment:


The aurora with a musher and his dog team done in ice at the Ice Park

Flower pods in ice at the Ice Park.

4 comments:

  1. Lesson learned. But, for $50 and a day of time, sounds like you got some really super good ideas ... so maybe not such a bust after all. I love it when there is a silver lining in the cloud.

    I could see your zentangles as tats!

    P.S. Love the ice sculpture pics! Makes me want to come visit. Gene wants to see the Northern Lights. I am twirling the idea of visiting Fairbanks in March next year around in my head. Don't you think that would be fun???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to learn you didn't at least one piece. Bummer. That would have been such a validation of your efforts, and money! I love that you came away with so many good ideas though. You are such a positive person...
    Don't forget to get your iodine pills this week, I think you'll need them...
    Love ya,
    Don & Geri

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry it wasn't better for you!
    The thing with Art is its in the eye of the beholder. While crafts may not be art to you they do require the same kind of creative thinking that sitting down and drawing requires. Look at what the University offers for their Summer Arts festival. Is that all art according to your definition? Probably not, but they fill the sessions. Irregardless, it will ALWAYS come down to money!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blue Eyed Alaska Girl: Don't get me wrong, I have been VERY successful with my "crafts" for several years but the invitation I received led me to believe it was an "ART" show, not a CRAFT show....big difference in the art world. Had I known this I would have brought my crafts to sell and probably would have been more successful financially.

    ReplyDelete