Thursday, March 17, 2011

I Think Spring Has Sprung!

The days have been sunny, getting warmer, and the snow is starting to evaporate and melt. The ice on the roads is more slick because of the running water from the melt off. Some days it is terrifying driving into town!!

I took more photos to compare so let's take a look:

Last week will be first and this week will be the second photo.

Our driveway one week ago.

Our driveway yesterday.

Saint Anton Drive a week ago.


Saint Anton Drive yesterday.
Well, you can see some difference, especially on Saint Anton Drive! The days are getting longer and longer and at least we have long sunny days now! The moon was so large last night and so bright....I'm going to miss the moon this summer.

Spring for me is both good news and bad news. I love having bare ground to walk and drive on! It feels so awesome!! But the sun bothers my eyes, and if I'm out in it much I get a bad headache and don't enjoy it. However, with the longer days of daylight I have more Serotonin in my body and am able to be awake more and feel better. 

I hope where ever you are that the sun is shining on you and making you feel better, physically and emotionally. 

Janie


3 comments:

  1. I can so relate to what you write here and the photos take me right back to my days in Fairbanks/North Pole. The light is an amazing energizer! I've done some studying on SAD and from what I understand, the sunlight causes the production of melatonin to shut off in the brain. Melatonin is what makes us feel sleepy. In people who have SAD, the production is not being shut off properly, thus the light box therapy helps that along. There is nothing as good as natural light though! Hope you get to go outside today and enjoy it! love, susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found this link: http://www.ei-resource.org/illness-information/related-conditions/seasonal-affective-disorder-(s.a.d)/

    I had no idea that Seratonin actually converts to Melatonin during a process. Glad you mentioned the Seratonin in your post!! I'm just so happy for more sunlight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jane! Did you hear that tonight (Saturday) the moon is going to be especially bright??? I hope we have clear skies so maybe I can snap a pic or two. Hope the moon shines bright on you there in Alaska! love, susan

    ReplyDelete