Monday, March 7, 2011

EMBRACE YOUR STRENGTHS, Let Your Weaknesses Go To....

My Favorite Flower - The Gardenia!
I read a post by an online friend about embracing our strengths and letting our weaknesses go to hell. It is true that we as a society are into "self help" and I'm sure that most of us really need it, but there does come a time when we need to look at our strengths and abilities and build on what's a positive in our lives!!!

I tend to be a person who will be honest with you if you ask me a question. If you don't REALLY want the answer, then don't ask, but I will be tactful. I don't believe in being brutally honest unless it is necessary, and those times have only happened a couple times in my life. Usually if I need to be "brutally honest" it is in regard to something that is or has been very hurtful to me. I am not a door mat, I am not going to allow anyone to abuse me, physically or psychologically. It took a long time for me to realize that I didn't have to allow that to happen. 

What I really want to talk about here is the strengths that I have and am still discovering. I have not allowed myself  to call myself an "artist" until a year ago when I did a 40-day Scrapbooking Class. The scrapbook had 40 pages about ME. It was about a lot of different aspects of me and through this class I learned that I am an artist. I may not do the kind of art that you like or your mother would like, but nevertheless I am an artist. 

Being asked to participate in the upcoming Art Expo has really boosted my sense of self....my sense of being an artist. I don't know that I'm really prepared but I'm going with what I have. It would be wonderful to actually sell some of my art, but if I don't it doesn't matter....at least it will be seen and that will be awesome! 

So, if you are feeling like you are down on yourself because of your weaknesses, STOP! Take a look at your strengths and GO FOR THE GUSTO!! 

I hope your day is filled with wonderful exciting self-awareness!
Janie

2 comments:

  1. Good luck at the show, Janie. Looking forward to hearing about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for this post. You have no idea how much I needed the inspiration this morning. If you really think about it, Jane, everyone has had to do their first expo or first showing out in public. I'd venture to say that if you talk with the other artists there and ask about their first experiences, you are going to receive a wealth of wisdom and caring and encouragement. I applaud you (imagine me standing up in front of my computer clapping) for taking the next step in your artistry ... sharing it with others! love, susan

    ReplyDelete