Sunday, March 20, 2011

Sunday Dinner

I was putting dinner on the table tonight and my thoughts flashed back to what I "think" were Sunday dinners at home in Wisdom, Montana. I don't remember much but I sure remember the homemade noodles my mother would make to put in her homemade potato soup! Yum! And for dessert we would have home canned cherries. Now my mother never canned anything but those cherries came from someone in Wisdom who did and liked my mom so much that they gave them to her....and on a regular basis because we had them often. I loved them!

My mother would make the best fried chicken in the world. It was a tradition that she made her fried chicken when we would go visit her (the first night for dinner), with homemade gravy, and mashed potatoes. She always made it for dinner on Christmas Eve too. I watched her make that chicken a thousand times but I still can't cook it like she did!! 

My grandmother would make me homemade cinnamon rolls. I stayed with her and my grandpa a lot because my parents went on trips together quite often. Every morning I would have homemade cinnamon rolls and hot chocolate. Her way of saying "I love you". 

Funny how food is such a big part of my memories about my mother and my grandmother Anson. Even my grandfather Smith would make cinnamon toast as long as I would eat it when I went to visit him and my grandmother Smith in the summers. 

Sunday Dinner
Anyway, tonight I made a roast and it reminded me of the many years I have made a pot roast for Sunday dinner. This wasn't a post roast but nevertheless it was good. 

I have learned to really enjoy the beauty of food through my daughter-in-law, Amy. She takes photos of food all the time and the photos are really good. I have tried to develop that habit so tonight I took a photo of our dinner. I hope you enjoy "looking" at the food you either prepare or eat. It brings a whole new meaning to the food we eat everyday. 

Janie

1 comment:

  1. In this "drive-by" world, that's the one thing we do a lot of at home, is cook. I have another blog devoted just to my favorite recipes. I've really enjoyed adding to it because as I'm getting older, I forget about some of those favorite things. As a side note, Gene's daughter made fried chicken for us last year at my house. She soaked the chicken in buttermilk and then dredged it in seasoned flour before she dropped it in hot oil. It was beautiful! I wish I had taken a photo of it.

    Your pot roast looks inviting! I think preparing food can be a real work of art!!

    ReplyDelete