Sunday, March 13, 2011

Is it Break-up Yet?

The other day I was down by the Chena River, the river that runs through the town of Fairbanks, Alaska. It was an absolutely beautiful day! The air was crisp and chilly (about 10 F) but the sun was shining out of a beautiful clear blue sky. 

Path plowed from parking lot to get to see the Chena River.

I stopped by the river to see if there was any open water. There was! And to me, open water = SPRING!! Well, I may have been rushing it because I was told later that the water is open there all the time because it is just down from the power plant. Nevertheless, I was very excited and the day was glorious so I shot a few pictures.

Ducks on the Chena River.

As you can see, it will be quite some time before we get rid of the snow and see bare ground, but the ducks are having a grand time and to me it really did feel like spring was in the air!!!

Parking lot snow plowed up by tree along the Chena River.

Walking path plowed along the Chena River

Oh, to you who live in the Lower 48, Break up is Alaska's version of spring. It's when the snow evaporates more than melts, it's when there is mud and more mud everywhere, and it's when we sigh with relief that we made it through another winter. It is not uncommon to hear someone say to another, "How many winters have you been up here?" because getting through winter here somehow feels like you have earned a badge of honor or bravery or something grand! 

The summers in Fairbanks? Well, they are GRAND!!!!!!

I hope it "smells" like spring where ever you are.
Janie

3 comments:

  1. GREAT blog! :) It is just awesome that you are getting out and about!!!!!!!!!!! AND after seeing you yesterday and seeing how good you look.... theres a definite spring in your step!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice pictures, Jane. Wish you would post more. Was a real nice day in Montana today. Geri and I rode the Harley to Lolo Hot Springs and back. First ride of the new year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How did the art expo go???

    P.S. I'm with Frag ... post more ... :-)

    ReplyDelete