Wednesday, March 16, 2011

I Am Devastated


Peaceful, beautiful Japan - pre-earthquake 2011
I have tried to NOT watch the terrible happenings to the country of Japan because it bring me to my knees in tears and sorrow. Today I watched a video that came through Twitter of a dog in Japan who would not leave the side of another dog who is injured. It is devastating.....I have always believed that man brings on himself terrible consequences of his own actions, but when an earthquake of this magnitude strikes a whole country, a people that through no actions of their own are left with nothing.....absolutely nothing.....how do they start over? How do they endure the loss of life, the loss of property, the loss of memories, the loss of a way of life that their ancestors have known for centuries?  How? There is no answer. I can only imagine being a mother there and wondering where my children are.....or being a child and wondering where my mother is. 

Pre-earthquake 2011 - Tokyo, Japan

Post-earthquake, 2011 - Tokyo, Japan
I would pray but I don't believe a loving God allows things like this to happen. I would go there and put on my gloves and help move whatever needs to be moved, but I would be one more person drawing on little to no resources, I could only put my arms around any person in my reach and sob with them....I know there are no answers to this terrible thing or all the terrible things left to play out in Japan, and I'm sure there are many....

My children are 1/2 Japanese, and perhaps this is one reason I feel so bereft for these people....they do not appear like foreign slant-eyed people to me, they look like part of my family. They look like people I love more than my own life. I am but one person but this one person extends to the people of Japan my love and my condolences and my tears. This one person would give everything I have to reunite a Japanese mother with her lost children or the children with their lost mother. This one person would give my life to bring a family back together and be able to start over. I am so blessed and shall never take it for granted another day of my life. I hope you don't either.

Janie

2 comments:

  1. I saw that video of the dog who led searchers back to another injured dog. It just ripped my guts out. The devastation is beyond belief. And, I'm totally with you on the prayer. Seems just like silly words "oh ... pray for the people of Japan". What they need is action. Those men going in trying to prevent a total meltdown ... are heroes.

    ReplyDelete