Monday, February 7, 2011

Janie in the Land of OZ

Yesterday I went shopping with my daughter-in-law, Amy. We went to several stores where there were racks and racks of clothes in all sizes, shapes, and colors. It was over-stimulating for me! I felt like a kid in a candy store!!

Now you have to understand that where I live in Alaska we have a Sears and Fred Meyer and that's it for shopping. There are a couple of second-hand stores which sometimes have something really cute and nice to wear. I'm not a small girl so finding the right thing is very difficult. And so most of my shopping has to be online and then if something comes that doesn't fit, I have to return it, paying postage twice in some cases. I have been lucky in that many times I get free shipping because I'm a "good" customer. LOL

I wanted to find a lighter weight coat yesterday so when we got to Nordstrom's Rack (now my FAVORITE store) I started looking for something. They actually had more than one rack of coats and jackets in my size!!! I tried on some coats that I "thought" I was looking for. Nothing looked good. Finally found a nice black trench-like coat with a cute ruffle at the waist in the back. Nice. Conservative. But then my eye caught sight of a really cute, sexy leather jacket, with ruffles and snaps and it fit like it was made for me. I usually have a problem with the arms being too long for me but this was just right! Amy, being the dutiful daughter that she is said "OH, You have to get this!!" Well, to make a long story short..I did and I actually got both of them! The original prices for each coat was very expensive but they were marked down almost 50%~!! 



Then I found a really good pair of sunglasses and a couple of nice cotton nighties and a purse. All together it was a little over $100! 

Black Trench Style Coat
Blackish-Brown Leather Jacket with Leather Ruffles on front (and back!)
Leather Ruffles on back of Leather Jacket

The psychology of a person like me walking into a huge store with rack after rack of clothes is quite interesting. Everything, and I mean everything is awesome....from the clothes, jewelery, household goods, shoes, furniture, baby items, etc., it is taken for granted by those who live here. But for me, it was like a "fairy land" where all things were possible. I do not take for granted that I will be able to get what I want or need when I'm in Alaska because getting what you need is so difficult and sometimes impossible. Here, it is really like Christmas, your birthday, Valentine's Day, and all other days of celebration rolled into one....EVERYDAY!! 

Looking for something to eat? Oh, my....the choices are endless!!!! I'm sure that over time the newness and awe of all this will wear off but for how, I'm just Janie in OZ!!

My Little Red Chariot!

Have a wonderful, stimulating day,
Janie

5 comments:

  1. When I go to visit my kids in Madison, I always take an extra suitcase! And the restaurants - wow! And so *cheap* compared to what we pay here in AK. I know the feeling of being a kid in a candy store when it comes to shopping. I love Kohl's and hitting a mall that has forty stores, instead of just a handful! Enjoy your shopping - and eating.

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you have clothing appropriate for your cruise????

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, I gotta give you an A+ for adding the photos with this post!!!!!!!!

    LOVE the leather coat! I'll bet you look & feel "HOT" in it!!

    But going back to the pics -- way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Frag: no i don't have my cruise clothes yet. Did visit a travel store today and they have a lot of cool things plus they give classes on what to take to Europe and how to pack and the rules and regulations.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow - I'm sooo happy for you! ... I LOVE the coats! And, since Joe is taking me to Hawaii in April.. I would be interested in that list of how to pack, etc. (I'm only allowed 1 bag! - and I get to wear my sundresses I've never worn!). so glad you are having girly time in Seattle... the real "sleepless in Seattle"??

    ReplyDelete