Saturday, February 12, 2011

New Toys, Zentangles, and My Need to be Creative

I mentioned in a previous blog post that I was going to look into the PC Tablet. My brother reads my blog and when he saw that he told me that he had an old one and that I could have it! He sent it to me and I got it just before I left Fairbanks but didn't have a chance to try it out.  I adore him for sending it to me. After I got to Seattle my son convinced me to look at the new ones....so I did.


I decided to get one and try it out to see if it might be something I want to use for my art. So, yesterday I finally got it out of the box and set it up. I had to buy a CD/DVD external drive too because I have a little 10.5" mini PC with no CD/DVD internal drive. So between setting up the external drive and the tablet it took a couple of hours.
First try on the PC Tablet!
I find the table to be pretty interesting, and as with anything it is going to take time to become proficient with it, but I can see that it is going to be a nice addition to my artistic growth. When I get home I'll be trying out the other one my brother sent...Could be a fun comparison.

I have always felt "driven" to be creative...sewing (I made all my kids clothes, from jeans to coats, toys, dolls, blankets, curtains, etc.), crocheting, counted cross stitch, embroidery, quilting, painting with acrylics, oils, watercolors, drawing, all sorts of paper crafts...scrapbooking, card making, wall "quilts" out of paper, jewelry making, beading, multiple craft projects, and most recently (past two years) Zentangle art. When I am being creative, I am in a different place emotionally....it makes me more than happy, it fills some sort of need that I can't explain. I think my dream "job" would be as a designer in some sort of craft area....

My son is going to make a video (He is VERY good at this...see His stuff here:  aaronnanto.com ) (His site is down today now because he is updating it) of one of my Zentangles! I am so excited about this!! And what an honor!!

Last night I sat down with pen and paper and made a couple cards and then started a new larger project....it is so relaxing and fills up that place in me that NEEDS to create. But I really need to get back to my other art as well...I need to start spending large amounts of time in my studio, to have that feeling of my mind going to a different place, a field of wide open spaces where ANYTHING is possible, where there are no boundaries, where I can think, feel, and dream and where the colors are vibrant, where the sun always shines, and where there are no worries or cares....I think that is what my need to be creative is like....at least it is as close as I'll ever get to in words! LOL

So, the larger Zentangle below is only partially finished...

Have a creative day!
Janie



5 comments:

  1. I totally get you, Jane! Whenever I am having a particularly hard day, Gene always says, "go get your card making stuff out." And, he's always gentle but persistent in suggesting it. I have never gotten my stuff out and stayed in a "dark" place. It's so therapeutic. I'm loving the Zentangle because I was getting really bored with the same old stuff I do and it's pretty overwhelming for me to go into Michael's or Craft Warehouse to find something new. I like keeping it simple.

    I'll keep trying Aaron's website ~ can't wait to see what's there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey Janie- can you explain the process you use to make your Zentangles? Are they all freehand?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blue Eyed Alaska Girl: Yes, everything is freehand. You just sit down with a piece of paper and a pen and start drawing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Blue Eyed Alaska Girl: I did a little searching on the net and found this YouTube that got me started with zentangle recently. It's a short demonstration on how to start:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4Nlz4XMxcs

    Warning: once you start, you won't want to stop! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Janie- I'm jealous of your creativeness. I definitely think with the opposite side of my brain!

    ReplyDelete