Sunday, February 6, 2011

My Children and Children-in-Law

Whenever I come to Seattle my children treat me so nice....wine and dine me and entertain me and just make me feel so special....I mean "REALLY SPECIAL". They don't treat me like some over-the-hill grandmother (that I really am). No Sireeeee!! And I love every minute!!!

I am not only blessed with wonderful biological children, I am blessed with truly wonderful "In-Law" children! My daughter is married to a really awesome guy who has always treated me with so much love and respect that loving him has been automatic almost from the moment I met him. He is so sweet and well, just a special kind of person. He is somewhat of a celebrity in their circle in Seattle and so the opportunity to meet other interesting and creative and talented people is not unusual. He isn't afraid to introduce me to his friends and that is such an honor to me! For instance, last night, my daughter and son  in law (This special guy will be called M), and my son and his beautiful wife (A) took me out to a cute little place called the Little Red Bistro. 

Little Red Bistro - through the rain

Now the place is just like a little cabaret....maybe out of the 1940s or something....red and black decor and not all glistening and new but a place that is loved and used. There are some really awesome paintings on the walls and I found out that the person responsible for these was actually there and M knew him and introduced us. He was so nice and let us go into the back where they have private parties. The place had such ambiance! Black and red velvet, special lighting and it was set up for a private party to be held there later.

The food at this place was absolutely amazing...and I almost fell off my chair at how inexpensive it was compared to Alaska prices! The menu wasn't huge but, oh my, it was good!!!! For appetizers we had a spinach dip with little toast squares. When the initial squares were gone more came magically to our table. Then I ordered Beef Bourginoun (I know this is not spelled right). It came with a small cup of veggies and lots of steamed or baked red potatoes. It is out of this world! The meat was so tender. This was followed up by a cup of coffee in a cup the size of a soup bowl!!! 

And of course, no meal is complete in a place like that without dessert. I chose the Peach Melba because M recommended it. It was outstanding!! Peaches with a raspberry sauce with ice cream and flavored whipped cream on the top! I waddled out of that place!! 

Peach Melba ... YUM!!



In all we were there from 7 pm to 11 pm, laughing, talking, sharing as loving family members do. M regaled us with one story after another and of plans for the future this summer. He is both handsome and charming and really fun to be around. Before the evening was over he told me he wanted to take out tonight, just the two of us. I am honored he would spend some of his really precious time doing this. I know I will have fun...He's just that kind of guy and I won't feel like some 65 year old, over the hill grandmother at least for a few hours.

My other "not born to me" child here is A. She is married to my son and is one of those people that when you meet her, you love her. And I do. She is full of life and really cute and outgoing. I felt close to her from the minute I met her. She is like another daughter to me and I am so lucky to know her. She always makes me feel so welcome when I stay with them. She is kind and generous beyond measures. I'm really jealous of her because she is a tiny little thing and wears the most amazing shoes ever!! The word dynamo comes to mind when I think about her. She and my son are so much in love and it is heart-warming to be around them both. 

My son and His darling 'A'

I know that I have talked about my kids before but I just have to say that my "Seattle" kids are really terrific. I miss them terribly because I don't see them but maybe once a year, if that. So when I do get a chance to spend time around them, they reinforce that being a parent is one of the greatest gifts you give yourself.

My Alaska children (my daughter and her honey, A) are just as awesome in their own right. My son in law, A, literally saved me on Thanksgiving during our huge ice storm. He is a wonderful guy who would do just about anything for you. And my daughter is such an awesome person...always there to lend a hand with something or lend her shoulder and expertise as a psychology major....and beautiful on top of that! So, I just had to say that today I swell with pride at the family I have been blessed to have, to their being really wonderful adults, contributing to society, making others' lives better because of their presence.  I must have done something right along the way to deserve their wonderful love. 

I wish you a day filled with happiness,
Janie

Zentangle of the day:
This is not one of mine, but I love it and wanted to share it with you.

2 comments:

  1. you are so lucky to have all this in your life. ALL family should be closer, but for one reason or another, it does not exist. Enjoy it while you can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Jane! This post is a real treat! I only remember your two younger kids because your oldest was already up and gone. Time flies when you're having fun, doesn't it??

    I have to tell you that I made this sound that I can't really find a word for after you described your dinner and at the exact moment I saw the photo of the Peach Melba. Great post! So glad you are having fun and enjoying every single moment with your kids.

    ReplyDelete